Sunday, June 16, 2013

So long Tetons, hello central Wyoming...

The Grand Tetons across Lake Jackson

The view back to the Tetons climbing Togwotee Pass
We had allowed for 2 days in Jackson just in case we had fallen behind schedule or felt we needed an extra rest day.  We haven't had any delays and are all feeling good, so we hit the road again today after only 1 rest day.  On the drive back to our starting point, we drove through the Grand Tetons National Park so that Nicholas could get a closer look at them.  Beth and I had been here for 3 days last August but still enjoyed the drive along the mountains and Lake Jackson.  

The ride for today was 59 miles to Dubois, WY which included a 3000' climb over Togwotee Pass at 9584' and crossing the continental divide again. This is our highest point in elevation so far this trip, but there are more big climbs to come.  Beth and I rode the tandem the entire way today. I think that makes the 7th time to cross the continental divide in the last week and we may do it a few more times as we head into Colorado.  All-in-all it was a good day.  The temperatures were mild and the wind was with us for the most part.  Here is the track for today's ride.

Nicholas' bike almost fell off the rack
We nearly had another bike damaged while on the bike rack today.  As we pulled up to the RV for first arranged stop, I saw that Nicholas' bike was hanging off the rack at a weird angle.  The bike is supposed to be attached to the rack by a skewer through the front fork.  Some how it had come loose and the bike was dangling from the rear tire attachment.  The cable that we run through all of the bikes to lock them to the van was holding it up so it wasn't bouncing off of the pavement.  Nicholas's bike hasn't been off the rake since West Yellowstone, about 175 miles of driving over mountain roads, so I'm not sure why it came loose.  I did put the bike on in a hurry in West Yellowstone since it was starting to rain on me, so maybe I didn't get the skewer tight... I really don't know.  Luckily there was no damage, but a close call.


I'm sure you have always wondered where you should go if you wanted to see the worlds' largest Jackalope exhibit. Well, now you'll know that answer to that burning question.  It is the Exxon station in Dubois, WY.  While I am no expert on Jackalopes, I would say this is the largest stuffed Jackalope that I have ever seen weighing in at 432 lbs.
432 lbs stuffed Jackalope











We have a couple of long hard days (113 miles and 86 miles) through central Wyoming coming up.  I'm pretty sure there will be very limited cell service and no internet access until we get to Rawlins in south central WY.  Tomorrow night we plan to spend the night at  Sweetwater Station rest area along the highway about 40 miles from the nearest town.  I'm just waiting to see the sign.... "Next services 90 miles".



No comments:

Post a Comment