Tuesday, June 25, 2013

"Rest Days" in Boulder, CO

Nicholas, Beth Stacy and Ted at Dillion Reservoir
We spent Friday night with Stacy Ohlsson in her family's townhouse in Silverthorne.  After Stacy fixed a great breakfast for us we all rode from the townhouse to Breckenridge on the large bike path system that they have here in  Summit County.  Stacy returned to the townhouse from here to return to Denver.  Our plan was to continue on to the summit of Hoosier pass above Breckenridge, but 6 straight days and some pretty tough miles got the better of us.  So we had lunch at the  Breckenridge Brew Pub and then returned to the townhouse.

We packed up and drove to Boulder, CO to meet up with Nicolas' family (Curt, April, Emily and Grandma Ruth) at Beth's sister's (Barbara) house.  We all had a nice dinner at Chautauqua.  Barbara had lived in one of the cottages in Chautauqua when she first moved to Boulder last year.

After dinner Beth, Nicholas and I headed to a Marriott Courtyard across town to get some much needed sleep and start with our long list of "rest day" chores.  Laundry, laundry, laundry, cleaning out the RV, really cleaning out the RV, washing the million bugs off the RV, grocery shopping and cleaning and lubing the bikes, etc.

After I epoxied the pieces back together
What we didn't need was for me to add more work to this list.  I went in search of a car wash where I could vacuum the RV out and remove all of the bugs.  I thought I had found the place, but boy was I wrong.  When I looked at the opening of the car wash bay, it looked to be about 11' tall, but there was no height markings.  I can now tell you it it was probably 10' 5.75".  The top of the RV is 10' 6".  I just scraped the entrance.  What was really bad was the skylight had been opened to make sure that Mo, the beagle, had ventilation in the RV.  It cracked the skylight at the hinges.  So I spent the rest of the day epoxying the skylight together.  Looking at the car wash, I wasn't the first one to scrape the entrance.  I have now taken the lead with damage done while driving the RV.  Those skylights are expensive and a new one is being shipped to Jefferson City as I type.  We'll pick it up there when we ride through in a about 10 days.  Hopefully it holds together until we get there.

Barbara hosted a big family dinner at her house Sunday night which included her daughter, Maureen and boy friend Jon.  We all had a good time and play some entertaining croquet in the back yard.

Emily, April, Curt and Nicolas zip-lining
On Monday, I finally got around to cleaning/repairing the bikes and we restocked the groceries; yet another busy "rest" day.  Nicolas went with his family to visit the Colorado state capital building, have lunch with Maureen in downtown Denver and then on to zip-lining in Idaho Springs.  We met them there.  It looked like they were having a great time.  Then we all went for pizza.

We are back in Breckenridge, ready to start on a long day to Colorado Springs.  Now it is up and over Hoosier Pass first thing this AM!





2 comments:

  1. If you keep submitting well written articles just like this then I will always keep returning back to your blog. Really good material.


    Boulder limousine services
    Boulder Car Service

    ReplyDelete
  2. IT IS Actually Very Useful FOR ME.I LIKE YOUR Put up Because IT IS Quite Useful FOR ME AS Nicely. HOPING THE Identical Greatest Work IN THE UP COMING Days ALSO. THANK YOU!
    denver limo
    airport transportation denver

    ReplyDelete