 |
| Leaving Ticonderoga, NY by ferry to cross into Vermont |
The next 4 days of riding were some of the hardest that we would have during the whole trip. It isn't always about how many miles you have to ride, but how many feet of elevation you have to climb and how steep the climbs are. In Vermont we were in the Green Mountains and then transitioned to the White Mountains in New Hampshire. There were frequent climbs of 10 to 15%, not long but steep. Here is the mileage and elevation for those 4 days:
| From | To | Mileage | Climbing Ft |
| Ticonderoga, NY | South Royalton, VT | 64.1 | 5422 |
| South Royalton, VT | North Woodstock, NH | 66.1 | 4903 |
| North Woodstock, NH | Naples, ME | 76.57 | 4321 |
| Naples, ME | Freeport, ME | 42.34 | 2854 |
And to make it even more fun, in South Royalton there was no motel option within several miles so we were in a primitive campground with one porta-potty, no running water or electricity. To the tour company's credit, they found us a hot shower at the local college which we all appreciated.
 |
| Jocelyn finishing the climb over Brandon Gap, VT - Elevation 2170' |
Jocelyn's sister has been following her progress with the Garmin live tracking feature. We had stopped at a water stop and Jocelyn got a text from her asking if we were going to go by the Gorilla holding a VW Bug. The route didn't go that way, but it was only a 1.2 mile detour and once you hear about it you might as well go see it. What is another 2.5 miles on 63 mile day.
 |
| Gorilla holding a VW bug... who knows why its here outside Salisbury, VT |
But before we got South Royalton we made a quick stop at Babe's Bar in Bethel, VT. It was a true local watering hole on a warm Saturday afternoon. Let's just say the clientele were "eclectic" for a small mountain town. Of course, Glenn was there and had a great time having a conversation with Glen the bartender asking about the name of the bar. The story goes that the bar was owned by two guys who liked to call each other "Babe"... and there was a Pride flag hanging outside. Draw your own conclusion...
Jocelyn got offered a shot of homemade Apple Jack by one of the patrons and luckily she didn't go blind or get sick so I guess it was OK. As usual, it was an entertaining 45 minutes, but we had to move on to catch our van ride to the local college and a hot shower.
 |
| One of several covered bridges between South Royalton, VT and North Woodstock, NH |
After our very primitive accommodations we were looking forward to staying at the Woodstock Inn and Brewery which was only a half mile from the group's camp site. I was able to book a room at the inn for the 3 Amigas and me. The forecast was for rain overnight and we really didn't want to have to get up and deal with another hard day of riding after spending the night in a wet tent. The inn was great and so was the brewery for dinner.
 |
| We got rained on all morning while we climbed 14 miles up Kancamagus Pass |
The forecast was right and we got up to a steady rain. Right out of Woodstock we started climbing up to Kancamagus Pass which is said to have incredible views... of which we say none in the rain and low cloud cover. The bigger disappointment was that the road down from the pass had just been repaved and would have been a screaming downhill ride on dry pavement.
Jocelyn and I bypassed the lunch stop in Conway and went to a local coffee shop where they were kind enough to give us a few towels to dry off with instead of us dripping all over the place. While we dried off, ate lunch and warmed up, Jocelyn was able to book a cabin at the KOA next to our campground in Naples, ME. We had to pay for 2 nights, but we crammed 6 people (the 3 Amigas, Glenn, Susan the guide and me) into it and split the cost. Best $80 I have spent on this trip!
 |
| The LL Bean Flagship store in Freeport, ME |
From Naples we were one ride away from the Atlantic ocean and our last night of camping! We woke up to clear skies and mild temperatures. I was up really early so I emptied my stainless steel water bottles and made the 3 mile ride to the Dunkin' Donuts at 5:15AM to get coffee for our cabin which was much appreciated.
The planned route for the day was a looping 65 mile route but Jocelyn had done a ride from Freeport to Naples with Kelly (our original head guide) several years ago that was only 34 miles. So the 3 Amigas and I took the short cut straight to the LL Bean Flagship store in Freeport. It was sunny day with mild temperatures and a very hilly, but nice ride.
 |
| Unofficial "Tire Dip" in the Atlantic at Winslow Memorial Park |
Glenn had already booked a car in Portland and he rode 30 miles directly to the rental car. Then he met us for lunch at the Maine Beer Company later. From there it was a short 7 mile ride to our oceanside campground and an unofficial tire dip in the Atlantic.
 |
| Got caught napping ... it has been a long trip |
After a nice dinner at the camp and making smores at a campfire we were all ready to finish up the trip with a ride into Portland, Maine.
 |
| Sunrise on our last day |
As usual, I was up early and out for a short walk to watch the sunrise over the ocean and my phone rings at 5:30AM. Its Glenn... I answered by saying "Glenn, I'm not bringing you coffee this morning!" Much to my surprise Glenn was at the Dunkin' Donuts and wanted to know how may cups of coffee he should bring to the camp since he had a car. I said 4, so he brought 6 and we had an early morning coffee klatch in the group tent camping area. I'm going to miss these guys!
 |
| The official tire dip at Ship Cove in South Portland |
 |
The final group ... from left to right: John (66) from Chicago, IL Jocelyn (62) from Black Mountain, NC Dorothy (73) from King Ferry, NY Glenn (77) from Wilmington, DE Me (69) Kevin (66) from Ft Worth, TX Sheri (74) from Bainbridge Island, WA Myles (64) from Merricmack, NH Chuck (76) from Chicago, IL |
.png) |
| The final route map |
Final Statistics:
Location: South Portland, ME
Final Miles Ridden: 4050.5
Final Elevation Climbed: 160,837
 |
| A tall ship in the bay at our final stop |
Final Thoughts
I'll take a minute to say something about the tour company. While I have complained about things from time to time in this blog. They did accomplish the main objective. They got us from A to B every day and feed us when we needed to be fed. The concept of the trip was good; the route planning was so-so and inflexible; and the execution was far more difficult that it needed to be primarily driven by the poorly equipped trailer and providing things that we really didn't care about like table clothes on the snack table with things nobody wanted and most of us would have been happy with packing a lunch or finding lunch instead setting up a lunch stop with the same cold cuts very day. In the end we made it and the staff is exhausted. Hank the cook stuck it out all the way to the end and I think the entire group tipped him well.
I asked most of the group why they were doing the ride. I can't even answer this question myself and for a few it was a "bucket list" item. Challenging yourself to a very large task that is both physically and mentally difficult. But the majority of the group had ridden across the country before, so we knew we (at least at one time) could do it.
For some it was "can I still do it?" But in the end what we are going to remember was the experience of being with a like minded group who all set out to do something difficult, but had a great time in the process. If I hadn't been having a good time doing it... I would have packed it in before South Dakota.
But not only meeting the people in the group, but people from all over the country. Experiencing "Minnesota Nice" or discussing Longmire books in a bar in Wyoming where the bartender had met the author or having Glenn ask about someone's tattoos in almost every bar or getting the phone call that we had been thrown out of a KOA in the middle of nowhere SD and maybe having to sleep on the floor in Lulu's bar.
There is a lot of alone time while you are riding 4000 miles over 75 days. Plenty of time to think and reflect. And yes, I did cry a few times thinking that I couldn't experience some of this with Beth or while I was redoing some of the things I had done with Beth before. But on the other hand, I experienced it with a whole new set of friends, some who will be very close friends. We have already started talking about maybe another adventure in the future, but right now we need to let this one sink in. It was a great experience and very happy that I did it.
Sounds like a Great time.
ReplyDelete